Make Me Up by Avery Flynn | Review


Description from Goodreads:

Former special ops turned private investigator Cam Hardy leaves a trail of broken hearts wherever he goes. He's all charm and sex appeal, and who can blame him for putting it to good use? Besides, it works damn well on the stunning and tough-as-nails makeup artist Drea Sanford. Only this time, Cam may be in over his head...

Drea is trying to keep her naughty affair with Cam a secret. After all, he's Harbour City's version of a Casanova... if Casanova had a motorcycle. When Cam makes their hot little liaison known to the public, however, Drea vows never to have sex with him again. Then one of her clients turns up dead. Now Drea is suspect number one - and she needs Cam's help. But sleeping with him is one thing...trusting him is quite another.

Make Me Up was featured in last week's First Impression Friday post which you can read here.

To begin with I wanted a little more time before everything went down, but I quickly regrouped and carried on reading. And I'm glad I did. The more you read Make Me Up the more you get to know the characters and the more you like them.

Drea is a confident, independent woman who takes care of herself. And I really like that about, I can't stand female characters that are really weak and dependent on men. Avery Flynn definitely moved away from that mold when creating Drea. It's the simple things about Drea that I liked, she wanted the relationship private and ended it when she didn't like where things were going, she worked hard to make herself the most popular makeup artist in Harbour City. Drea isn't just a makeup artist, oh no, the girl's passionate! Which obviously means there were some quote worthy moments!

"But then I realised makeup's real power. I could highlight someone's features and it would turn on a light inside them. I wasn't helping them hide or conform to some bullshit beauty standard or whatever. I was giving them a way to express their inner personality. When a woman feels confident, it changes how she interacts with the world."

Got to love that quote.

Drea wasn't the only character in Make Me Up though, Cam was a dreamboat if ever there was one. He's the ultimate playboy bad-boy with a dark past, he rides a motorbike, he's over six feet, he's gorgeous and blonde. He does absolutely everything he can to protect Drea, because he slowly starts to realise that he loves her. And I loved seeing that happen.

The police are not the only ones after Cam and Drea in Make Me Up, Avery Flynn added a little extra action in the form of the City's crime lord. This definitely spiced things up a little bit and made the novel stand out from its counterparts.

Make Me Up was a really enjoyable book, I'm really glad that I bought it! Have you read Make Me Up? Let me know what you thought in the comments!

'Make Me Up' by Avery Flynn
4 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , ,