Allegiant by Veronica Roth | Review

      Title: Allegiant




      Author: Veronica Roth




      Release Date: 22 October, 2013












Description from Goodreads:

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered - fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.


But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature - and of herself - while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice and love.


I'm going to start off by saying that I didn't love either Divergent or Insurgent, while I didn't think they were bad I just didn't really connect to them. It was three years ago that I read the first two books in the series, so before I could even pick up Allegiant I had to do a little bit of research, which translates to reading what went down in each book online. Despite that, I still encountered quite a few characters that stopped me, making me question who the hell is that?

When I started Allegiant I actually enjoyed it for quite a while, I think that the split POV prevented the issues with Tris that I'd had before. Which, yes, did arise. I don't know what it is about Tris that I don't like, I never felt that I connected to her character. She seemed marry and dramatic, the whole selfless act quickly became annoying! Tris always seemed to be the leader of things, from plans to opinions. If she starts hating someone then everyone else follows suit. Peter got it spot on when he said something similar to Tobias when he briefly joined 'the club'.

In the previous books I liked Tobias, the dark, mysterious, handsome and not at all talkative persona really worked in his favour. He was the unattainable older guy I couldn't quite believe Tris got. Things might have changed in Allegiant, the split narrative didn't work for Four. He too became annoying, the whole woe-is-me jig got a little tiresome. I've basically decided that I like the characters I read about in the Divergent books, but once I get in their head they've lost me. 

I'm going to try and conduct the rest of this review without giving away any spoilers for those of you who haven't read the book yet, and if you're not planning on reading just watching the film then shame on you child. If you have read the book, then you'll know what I'm referring to when I say 'the event'.

I'll start off by saying I like Peter and Caleb, so that along with my dislike for Tris shaped my opinion of the event. Who the hell picks the guy a few people hate to volunteer for such a life changing act? That is not the way nice, normal people go about things. A small group of people disliked Caleb, not the whole universe, so Tris and her small army need to get down from their high horses and take a look at themselves.

I wasn't emotionally affected by 'the event', sure I sort of knew before I even started reading, but I felt no sadness or remorse. I was more affected by the choice that Peter made, because I liked him, he was one of my favourites.

Aside from the characters of Tris and Four I enjoyed Veronica Roth's writing, the whole reason for the city inside the fence was really interesting, and I loved the addition of the new characters. I'm not going to be rushing to re-read the Divergent series any time soon, but I'm glad that I read Allegiant before the final films come out.

Have you read Allegiant? Let me know what you thought in the comments!

'Allegiant' by Veronica Roth
3 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,