The Princess Problem by Diane Darcy | Review


Description from Goodreads:

In real life, she's given up on the fairytale ending...

After having her heart broken twice, Alicia Dayne has sworn off men, decided to concentrate on her career and is delighted to win a lucrative contract to make a commercial for Highborn Mattresses.

She could make the most awesome fairytale commercial ever - except Jonas Highborn, who isn't exactly thrilled with her Princess and the Pea ideas, and really doesn't want a prince in tights representing his company.

Though he's trying to keep his grieving mother happy by letting her have charge of the commercial shoot, and though Alicia's trying to keep in mind that this annoying guy is her boss for the moment, they can't seem to keep from clashing.

Throw in an overly-handsome prince, a matchmaking mama, and a stunning rose garden, and maybe, just maybe, Alicia can be convinced they have a chance at something real. Because while she might not be a real princess, sometimes an ordinary girl's got to take a chance, even when it seems too good to be true.

When did Happily Ever After become so complicated?

The Princess Problem is a short story, only 121 pages long. I didn't realise this before I started reading, so all of a sudden it ended. And I felt a little lost. I don't usually choose to read short stories, I find, especially if they're romance, that they feel rushed and incomplete. The Princess Problem definitely didn't feel incomplete, in fact I felt that it ended really nicely.

However, in my opinion it was too short. There could be so much more to this story! And I actually want Diane Darcy to rewrite it into a full length novel. I loved the characters, Alicia and Willa being my two favourites. I would say Jonas but I honestly don't feel that he had enough time to develop.

I want to see more of Jonas, to really watch Jonas and Alicia's relationship develop. It felt like they were being romantic in the rose garden one minute, and then married the next. Far too quick moving, and yes I know that's how shorter stories work, but I want more! (With all this demanding more I feel like Oliver, here's to hoping I don't get turned down too!)

I've given The Princess Problem 3 Stars, not because I didn't enjoy it, I really did, but because I felt it was too fast paced and quick moving, and Diane Darcy could definitely get a couple hundred more pages out of Jonas and Alicia.

Anyone else have issues with shorter stories, or is it just me? Let me know in the comments!

'The Princess Problem' by Diane Darcy
3 Stars

Labels: , , , , , ,