All Broke Down by Cora Carmack | Review


Description from Goodreads

Dylan fights for lost causes. Probably because she used to be one.

Environmental issues, civil rights, corrupt corporations, and politicians you name it, she's probably been involved in a protest. When her latest cause lands her in jail overnight, she meets Silas Moore. He's in for a different kind of fighting. And though he's arrogant and infuriating, she can't help being fascinated with him. Yet another lost cause.

Football and trouble are the only things that have ever come naturally to Silas. And it's trouble that lands him in a cell next to do-gooder Dylan. He's met girls like her before fixers, her calls them, desperate to heal the damage and make him into their ideal boyfriend. But he doesn't think he's broken, and he definitely doesn't need a girlfriend trying to change him. Until, that is, his anger issues and rash decisions threaten the only thing he really cares about: his spot on the Rusk University football team. Dylan might just be the perfect girl to help.

Because Silas Moore needs some fixing after all.

I was in the reading zone and was craving a bit of New Adult college/sport reading action. So I turned to Cora Carmack, because she's never done me wrong before. I've read the first book in the Rusk University series, they're all stand alone novels so don't feel you have to go out and buy it, but it was amazing so no pressure. I thoroughly enjoyed All Lined Up, but you know what? I loved All Broke Down even more.

Silas and Dylan's relationship has an interesting dynamic, they both find each other attractive but don't want the commitment that comes with being boyfriend and girlfriend. They have a bit of a help me I'll help you deal going on. Silas needs to sort himself out for the football team and Dylan wants to cut loose and find out who she really is. Silas introduced Dylan to his friends as a friend, though his protectiveness shone through and showed his true feelings. I loved that Silas was so protective of Dylan, it made for a really swoon worthy character. And there's nothing I like more than a swoon worthy character.

Cora Carmack is hilarious, I genuinely laughed out loud so many times. There's so many brilliant one liner's and references to popular culture that had me cracking up.

"the biggest jackass this side of wherever Shia LaBeouf is currently standing"

I loved the humour running throughout All Broke Down, it's one of the reasons I love Cora Carmack's writing so much, and why I'll be reading more of her work.

But that's not the only reason, she also writes pretty great characters. Dylan is sweet and kind, she's rich and her parents are important people. On paper she should stay away from Silas, but turns out he actually brings out the best in her, and vice versa.

Stella is a supporting character but boy does she make a mark. She's one of the few people at the university that actually understand Silas, she's a football junkie and she's pretty damn hilarious.

"Naked apology. Works every time."

That's what makes what happens so shocking and awful, but I'm not about to say anything because spoilers, and I'm not about that life. But here's to hoping we get a book in Stella's POV. She definitely deserves one.

The third book in the Rusk University series All Played Out comes out in May and features Dylan's roommate, she wasn't featured in All Broke Down all that much but, and I don't mean to brag, I guessed straight away that she was going to be getting a book. I can't wait for All Played Out to be released, I love me some college football romance fiction.

Have you read any of the Rusk University series? Let me know what you thought in the comments!

'All Broke Down' by Cora Carmack
5 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,