First Impression Friday | Southern Perfection by Casey Peeler


First Impression Friday is a weekly feature created here at Alexandra Florence Books. I've been finding that what I think about a book changes a lot from beginning to end, so I thought it would be really fun to share my first impressions of a book, and hopefully read yours too! If you want to join in  all you have to do is link your First Impression Friday in the linky, grab the picture, and make sure you link back to me!


Southern Perfection by Casey Peeler

So far I'm not so sure about this book. I like the storyline so far, I don't have a problem with that at all. My issue comes with the actual writing. It feels immature.

Rae is a really hardworking character, she lost her parents at a really young age so her Grandpa her is her world. She helps at their farm, works really hard at school and she's a cheerleader. So of course all the boys are interested, would it be contemporary romance if they weren't? 

There seems to be a lot of repetition going on in Southern Perfection. There's a split narrative between Rae and Emmett, which I have no problems with, I rather enjoy a split narrative. However, something happens in Rae's narrative, and then what do you know, we're hearing all about it again in Emmett's. Not something I particularly appreciate.

So that's all been going on, and all the while the style of writing has been bugging me. The characters are coming off really young, I mean younger than they are young. And it's a shame, because I really like Rae and Emmett so far.

I'm going to keep persisting with Southern Perfection because I'm liking the story, hopefully those couple annoying things will pass!

What are you currently reading? Let me know in the comments!

Labels: , , , , , , ,