First Impression Friday | The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark



First Impression Friday is a weekly feature that I created. I've been finding that my opinion on a book changes a lot from when I first start reading to completion so I thought it would be really interesting to document this, and get your opinions while I do! If you want to join in link your First Impression Friday review in the Linky, grab the picture, and make sure you link back to me!


The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark

I'm a huge lover of YA, that and the 2015 Contemporary Challenge were all I needed to purchase The Boy Next Door and start reading!

The Boy Next Door alternates between the POV's of Mad and Gabe, and if you've been reading my blog for a while then you'll know that I'm a fan of split narratives, so bonus points for Katie Van Ark! Mad and Gabe are a figure skating duo, and I'll be honest, some of the technical language is completely lost on me. I watched Ice Princess religiously when I was younger, and The Boy Next Door is definitely bringing back memories of that film and my love for it, although it clearly didn't prepare me for the technical language barriers. This isn't a huge deal though, it just requires a spot of Googling now and then.

Now for the characters, I'm really liking Mad, she's sweet and desperate for Gabe to commit publicly to their relationship. Gabe has issues with this and he's keeping the relationship secret. At the moment I'm definitely siding with Mad. Gabe needs to man up and commit before Mad leaves him and his shot at a career in skating behind.

I'm enjoying Katie Van Ark's writing style, a big must if I want to enjoy a book! The only issue I am having with it is that a lot of stuff goes unsaid. Now, I'm reading this book at stupid o'clock in the morning on the train and as I travel home, exhausted. This means that I need it to be explicit, no hints in the narrative that I've got to pick up on. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Other than that one teeny tiny thing I'm enjoying The Boy Next Door and I can wait to find out what happens! I really want to find out how they resolve their relationship problems. What book are you currently reading? Link your review below!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,